Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hooray for Summer!!!

          I am finally officially beginning my summer break! I am so excited for the next 30 days off. I'm sure it will go by in a flash.
          It's been awhile since I last blogged (I'm working on getting this blogging thing more routine), so I will recap what has been going on in the last month. I spent the last 19 days as a one-on-one tutor for a student in my district who required Extended School Year services. It was an interesting experience and I enjoyed working in the elementary setting again. I am very grateful for the plethora of resources I found on the Internet for phonics, fluency, comprehension, and multiplication (since it is summer, all of my teacher tools are in storage). One gem I came across this summer is the Cherry Carl website. It has FANTASTIC resources, particularly the Dolch words section!!! I heart it and wish I had know about it when I was teaching Kinder and 2nd grade! It would have been a HUGE help! However, I know about it now and encourage you to check it out!
         Another recent development that has occurred during the last two months is that I am....buying a house! This is still kind of mind boggling to me because I never really set a goal to buy a house. It was one of those things that just kind of happened. So, how did it happen you wonder? Well, it was the boyfriend's idea originally. In the over two years that we have been together, he has been on the house hunt. He came very close once in Hesperia and I have to say I was not too keen on the idea of visiting/living (one day) in Hesperia (the relationship was still in it's beginning stages at that point). Long story short, things didn't work out with that house and the hunt continued. Last summer, when I was going through a rough patch emotionally and mentally (no teaching contract), the boyfriend and I had the talk (several talks actually). During those conversations we discussed at great length what we wanted for our future together and how were we going to get there. That was when my spending habits took a huge change and so did my thoughts and feelings about many other things. So, I began pinching every penny and quit shopping (this was NOT easy). I faced the fact that I am a shopaholic and changed my ways.
         So now, I am in the FINAL days of this whole escrow process (which is not for the faint-hearted). It has been the longest and most intense two months of my life! The light at the end of the tunnel is in sight though. We have moved on to the more exciting aspects such as picking out paint colors, looking at ceiling fans, and stain for the wood floors that are currently hiding beneath some pink shag carpeting. I am looking forward to the day when the boyfriend and I can finally move in to our new home and start planning for another momentous day (WEDDING!).
        In the meantime, I have begun catching up on my young adult literature. I've already read the Hunger Games and Catching Fire, both by Suzanne Collins. I can't wait to get my hands on the final book in the trilogy, Mockingjay. I have not enjoyed the YA genre so much since reading the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. Currently, I am reading The Giver.
        Needless to say, I'm going to busy with a capital B this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment