Thursday, March 7, 2013

All Things Middle School

    Over the last two days, I have had the time to reflect on my experiences as a middle school teacher compared to when I was an elementary school teacher. The question has come up several times while visiting with colleagues at CCSS trainings: "How do you like middle school?" The answer is I LOVE IT! I am amazed every time I say how much I love it because I NEVER pictured myself as a middle school teacher. I always thought I wanted to ONLY teach elementary school. This was partially because of a few bad experiences I had as a substitute in middle school. I remember the last time I subbed in a middle school I could not wait to get the hell out of there. The kids were disrespectful and clearly were not there to learn. After that day, I took middle school off my sub list and out of my mind. Fast forward 4 1/2 years later and the only contract job opportunity is not only a teaching position at a middle school but I was also charged with the task of making HUGE growth with students in a very short amount of time. I jumped at the opportunity because I needed to pay my bills. Now almost a year later, I can say that I whole heartedly LOVE my job.
    The kids are bigger, the attitudes are definitely bigger, and the problems are bigger. I no longer hear, "Miss M you're so pretty." Instead I hear, "Miss M, do you like me?" and "Is this period your favorite class?" Kids are kids no matter how old they are or how big they are. And most of my students are taller than me. But at the end of the day, they still want to hear that they are special and loved. Especially now.
     Many of my 7th graders are experiencing their first real crushes and rejections. Many of them are experiencing conflict with their friends. Many of them are trying to find their way and to fit in amongst their peers. It is an interesting age. Everything is super important to them and every problem is HUGE.
Emotions are heightened.
     Sometimes I find myself wondering, "Was I like that? Did I have an attitude with my teachers?" I was a pretty studious and quiet kid in 7th grade. I was more concerned with my ballet classes than boys. I didn't follow the fads at all-no boy band posters for me. But I do know at home was a different story and I remember getting in trouble for my attitude and eye-rolling. Now as an adult and as a teacher, I understand just how annoying and disrespectful it is.
      This past year has been rewarding and interesting though and while I wouldn't say no to an elementary teaching position, I have to say that right now I am enjoying the middle school ride. Every day is different, every period is different, and every kid is different. I LOVE MIDDLE SCHOOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment