Thursday, October 13, 2011

Losing Hope

I hate to sound so negative and down in the dumps with every post but it seems that when it rains it does not just pour. It's just a hurricane! Just when I thought things would be okay, I find that I was wrong.
Yesterday I posted about the possibility that I would not be long term substituting in 6th grade next. Today as I was walking to the staff lounge at recess who should stop me on my way to pee but the principal! Apparently he's been interviewing people for that position and yesterday he found someone. He told me the sob story. He feels bad, it's what is best for the kids, they have experience teaching 6th grade. Then he said it. It's what is best for them to pass the test!!!
Really? Seriously! While our fearless leaders preach to us at every staff meeting about how we shouldn't teach to the test. The test is not the reason why we work hard. Apparently everything we do is for the test. We must live and breathe the test.
I couldn't believe it! What has happened? It is sad to think that when these kids look back on their elementary years instead of remembering the fun projects they did, they will remember all the tests they took and whether or not they were proficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment