Thursday, July 14, 2011

So Stressed My Hair Is Falling Out!!!

If you had told me three years ago that I would be in the position of being an unemployed teacher, I never would have believed you. Naive, I know. However, this is the current position I am in and it saddens me. And stresses me out. In fact, I am so stressed that my hair is falling out and I now have a small bald patch on the top of my head! My hair stylist says it's because of stress. In fact, she had a client last week who is going through the same thing and in the same profession-teaching. Crazy!

I have absolutely NO FRIGGIN' IDEA what is going to happen next or how I am going to pay the rent come September 1. That is also a huge source of stress for me. So now what? Where the hell do I go from here? I know I'm a good teacher. I know that I care about my students and that it shows in my teaching. I know that I do everything I can to help my students develop into good citizens and academic scholars. Teaching is taking a huge hit everywhere...every which way. It's absolutely ridiculous the things we have to go through and the crap that gets talked about us. But where would ANY of those people be (who are making crazy decisions and the crap talking people) without a teacher-public, private, or parochial?

This is the first summer in a long time that I have not enjoyed. I spend my time combing the Internet looking for jobs, writing cover letters, writing several drafts of my resume. I never thought I would be in this position...but here I am. I cannot wait for school to start in August so that I can get as many substitute jobs as possible so that I can pay my rent and bills. It's an exhausting and depressing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment